Thursday, March 13, 2014

Stitch Fix March 2014 Review

So, I realize my blog has become my own personal junk drawer corner of the internet. I rarely open it, and when I do I find things like old pens and tubes of lipstick and dead batteries. I just haven't had the desire to blog lately, so I really only come here to share things I think are truly noteworthy and good.

I've been in a style rut lately and have decided 2014 is the year of quality over quantity. I purged my closet and am dedicated to only buying pieces that are good quality and will get a lot of mileage (goodbye, Forever21..it's been fun). Especially now that I'm 30, I'm more determined than ever to build a grown up wardrobe. Plus, I find every time I go to buy something, it's gray...or black...or white. I'd love to see what someone ELSE would pick out for me to force me to try something different.

Enter Stitch Fix - a personalized shopping service that sends you five items based on an extensive style profile questionnaire. The service is $20 for the styling fee, and if you purchase an item sent to you, your styling fee goes towards the purchase of your item(s). If you buy nothing, you forfeit the fee. But if you buy all five items, you get 20% off your entire order. I thought it would be super fun to try, since the items are delivered to your door, and you can try them on in the comfort of your own home. You simply return the items you don't want in the provided pre-paid envelope.

Here's what my box looked like after my first open and the clothes inside are folded nicely and wrapped in tissue paper:



My stylist was Jennifer, and I think she did a good job listening to what I wanted. I requested feminine prints and color and wanted to start getting into spring and away from anything dreary-winter related. She also noted that I was a jeans-every-day type of girl, so there were no cocktail dresses in my fix :). My stitch fix order included a note from my stylist, a style sheet with ways to wear each of my pieces, and a price list.



Here are the items I received and my impression of each:

With toddler hand photo bomb. He grabbed these right as I was snapping with my camera.
1. Bay to Baubles Alhambra Embellished Triangle Chain Dangle Earrings ($32) - Pretty, and I don't have a lot of that color in my jewelry collection currently. However, they were a little heavy, and my ears can be sensitive (I didn't put them in). Plus, I wouldn't pay that much for trendy earrings. STATUS: Returned.

Back of tank

Front of Tank
 
2. Ezra Evita Print-Back Mixed Material Top ($44) - I love the print on the back of this tank. It was unfortunately way too big, though, as you can see in the picture below. I went in and adjusted my profile to make the tops I receive a little smaller. The material was also something similar to what I would find at Forever21... which is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. STATUS: returned.


3. Kensie Jeans - Johnny Skinny Ankle Biter Jeans ($88) - Pictured with the tank are a great pair of dark navy skinny jeans. They are a perfect length for flats or heels and they have a lot of stretch. These were definitely husband approved. Plus, you can never have too many pairs of great fitting jeans, which I wear every day. STATUS: Kept. 



4. Pomelo Wrenn V-Neck Jersey Top ($44) - Nope. Nope, nope, nope. There was nothing I liked about this top other than the beautiful K-State Purple. I hated the fit, the cut of the sleeves, and the neckline. Plus it was too big. STATUS: returned.



5. Tulle Teddy Floral Blazer ($68) - I really wanted to like this blazer. I like the IDEA of this, but not the way it actually looked on. I loved the print and think it would look pretty on a pencil skirt. The weight of it was really light and would have been perfect for spring. However, the cut was, once again, huge, and much too boxy on my long torso. It made me look like a Golden Girl (no disrespect, Betty White). STATUS: returned.

I'm glad I found one piece that I really liked. And I can also admit that I'm glad I didn't love everything or I would be broke. Also... every time I wear skinny jeans, I feel like this:

)

So, overall, I can say that my first Stitch Fix experience was definitely FUN, and I will definitely do it again with clearer sizing guidelines. If you want to schedule one for yourself, feel free to use any of the links in this post. I do get a referral credit if you sign up which would go towards a future Stitch Fix. If I do it again, I will probably request the same stylist.

Have you done Stitch Fix before? What was your experience like? Next up, I'm doing Golden Tote, which lets you pick one item and they pick the others. Stay tuned towards the end of the month for that review!

2 comments:

Alyssa Bair said...

Sounds like we are in a very similar place. I also went through a massive closet purge and hope to elevate it this year.
I just received my first Stitch Fix this month. Like you, I only kept my jeans (Just Black "Jake" - a slim boot cut). I was in love with them, but everything else in the box was a miss. I've decided that unless I LOVE something there's no point in buying more closet filler.
I'm trying out a similar service called StylingOn, and have had several phone calls with my stylist there. The price point is a bit higher although you can still set a price point. They provide mostly designer labels so I'm excited to compare the two services.
I do have a second Stitch Fix box coming and I'm hoping my feedback will result in at least one more piece I love because I wouldn't want to lose the styling fee.

Amanda said...

Yes, exactly - no more closet filler! It's so easy when I'm shopping for my son at Target to spend $10 here or there on a cheap top...but all those cheap things could add up to one really amazing piece instead! I'm also giving Stitch Fix another shot and scheduled one for May. We'll see how round #2 goes :)