Wednesday, June 4, 2014

On The Menu: Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches


Yes, I realize it's been a LONG while since I've posted any recipes. I've tried several and I hope to share the ones we've really liked and have added to our regular rotation. The first is this too-easy recipe for French dip sandwiches. My husband is a notorious crock-pot hater, but I kid you not, his exact words were, "Seriously, I just can't get over... man. This sandwich is tasty. Remember this one." Strong endorsement! Thank you to Leigh Anne over at Your Home Based Mom for this original recipe.
 
 
Here's what you'll need:
Serves: 6
 
• Chuck Roast (1.5 - 2 lbs)
• 1/2 tsp dried thyme
• 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
• 1/2 tsp garlic salt
• Fresh ground black peppercorns and salt
• 2 tsp minced garlic
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 2 cups beef broth
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Cheese of your choice (swiss is traditional, but we used provolone)
• Hoagie buns or French rolls - we got ours from the bakery section of our Hy-Vee
 
Directions:
1. Season your roast on both sides with fresh ground pepper and salt (I LOVE these McCormick Grinders). Brown your roast on both sides in a heavy pan (I used my cast iron skillet) in your olive oil - about a minute and a half per side on medium high heat.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the broth, soy sauce, minced garlic, thyme, rosemary, garlic salt, and fresh ground pepper to taste.
3. Place your browned roast in your slow cooker and cover with your broth mixture. Slow cook on low 8-10 hours (we did 9 hours).
4. Shred your beef and layer on top of toasted buns. Cover with cheese and place under your broiler for about 2 minutes to melt your cheese.
5. Use the au jus from your crock pot for dipping!
 
 
Even the two year old liked it! He "shared" my au jus, which gave it a little extra flavoring. Is that dirt I taste? Maybe a hint of roly poly?
 
 
The discerning reviewers.
 
Also... I have to share a picture of this epic hair, just so you can really appreciate what I try to tame on a daily basis. It is futile. This is a boy who had a haircut less than a month ago.
 
 
Happy dining!

1 comment:

joy said...

The sandwiches look yummy, the yard looks great, and I love the hair. Avery and Zoey need to trade hair with Judah :)